Friday 24 November 2017

Reflections from Gestalt Group Dynamics Training

The last few months, I have been attending a course in Gestalt group dynamics training.  As a trained facilitator, I believe it is important to keep learning plus, putting myself into uncomfortable situations. After all, that is what we do to our classroom captives (delegates)!  It is important to be reminded what it feels like to be stuck in a training room at the whim of a stranger trainer.  At any moment, there is the possibility to be raised or lowered by a lip quip from said trainer.

This particular course has taught me a very, very valuable lesson. As trainers and facilitators, we often feel the need to fill.   The Gestalt facilitator, as I experience him (this is relevant if you ever attend this type of training) does very little.  I don't mean that he is supping his tea and dunking biscuits. I mean, he appears to do very little. He just watches us and rarely, extremely rarely, he intervenes just at the right moment to keep dynamics of group present. 

Here is the valuable lesson that I have learned in summary. Don't feel you need to fill the silence.  Try and do less and let the group struggle a little. Trainers often seem to want keep conversation going, fill the gaps, remove awkwardness etc.  However, I have learned, if you do the least amount as possible to make everything 'ok' then, only then, some really interesting group dynamics present themselves.

Good luck!

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive