Monday 20 January 2020

Coaching Principles Part Five - It is a 121 thing


Welcome to to Part Five of my coaching principles...



I read a lot about coaching and group coaching...Here is my view - Coaching is a 1-2-1 thing.  It happens in the intimacy of a trusted working relationship.  The coach needs to be 1-2-1 to get the best from that person to help them solve their own problems using their own resources.  Facilitators work with groups to  help them achieve things by using their own resources.  (Very broadly speaking)









There seems to a lot of talk about 'group coaching' as a new phenomenon.  I am not so sure about this.  If you are trained as a coach and a facilitator, it is really easy to see that they overlap. In fact, some of the theories behind the two approaches come from the same people.  I think that you can use some coaching models with groups but I believe this just becomes facilitation - not group coaching.  I would like to be proved wrong!

So, here is my group coaching badge for you.  If you are a trained coach and a trained facilitator, you now can call yourself a group coach. I am not dismissing group coaching, I am just saying this - 'Let's not make things more complicated!!'  People are happy with the difference between coaching and mentoring.  Now, why would we want to confuse them saying, 'Coaching techniques in a group are now called group coaching, not facilitation.'  

I disagree.  Coaching is 1-2-1, facilitation is 1-2-many!

Stepping down from my soap box right now...

Best wishes
Paul




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive