Monday 19 December 2016

Thin end of the wedge

There is a secret I feel compelled to share with you but my mortgage payments could be in jeopardy as a result of it.

I was recently asked to bid for some work, just a small piece.  I didn't get the work.  The scenario was that the HR manager gave me a problem and said, 'So what training would you offer to solve this problem that we have...?'

I made the mistake of being a consultant.  I said, 'Actually, training is the thin end of the wedge. If you truly want to make a behavioural difference, you need to treat training as the last resort.'

As we all know, there are lots of things that need changing in terms of processes, systems, reward etc. etc. that will give you the sustainable difference that a client or company might seek. Training is only about 10% of the answer.  Granted, good training can be a great springboard for launching something new. However, it is not THE answer to everything.

I didn't get the piece of work. However, I can look in the mirror though and say 'Tizzard, you didn't get the work but at least you were a true consultant.'

I shall remember that when I approach the bank for an overdraft...

 
Bank Manager - 'Tell me, what has created the situation where you can't pay your mortgage Mr Tossard?'
Me - 'Well, I was offered some work on a plate but I decided to take a consultative approach and said training was only 10% of the answer.'
Bank Manager - '...and how long have you been an idiot for exactly?!'

Note to self - Next time, just take the ruddy money!

P.S. I am actually pleased I made the right decision, even if I don't eat this month!!!  I have used my last bit of money to buy a copy of The Secret so should be okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive